Besan cheela is tasty as well as healthy for to toddler to a elderly person. It is the most famous breakfast option at our place after aloo poha. It is basically made from gram flour but we can do a lot of variations to make it more tasty and less monotonous. It can be made within no time and hence can be made very quickly after a hectic day schedule. You can also pack this in tiffin box for kids, adding a lot of veggies to it. Hence making it a healthy sumptuous meal for kids.
I am a strict vegetarian and often my husband demands omelette, to which I make Besan cheela with bread toast to satiate his hunger for egg. So, it can easily be used as an alternate for egg (for non egg eaters). We can have besan cheela with Green chutney , Tamarind Chutney and Tomato Ketchup.
Besan chilla should be well paired with ajwain and asafoetida , as both these ingredients help in easy digestion of besan. The batter should ideally rest for 15-20 minutes so that besan can absorb the water and become more fluffy while cooking. We can also add finely crushed oats powder and 1 tbsp of crushed flax seeds to the besan batter to make it more healthy and soft. Make sure that the batter has the right flowing consistency. It should not be very thick or thin.
Oats help in reduction of cholesterol while flax seed is an excellent source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
- 1 cup besan or gram flour
- 2 tbsp crushed oats (optional)
- 1 tbsp crushed flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 1/2 tsp haldi ot turmeric powder
- salt (to taste)
- 1/2 cup Finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped capsicum
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chilly (optional)
- oil (for roasting and making the chilla)
- In a deep mixing bowl add besan, hing, ajwain. oats and flax seeds powder and add adequate amount of water to make a smooth batter using a whisk.
- Now add onions, tomatoes, green capsicum, green chilly, coriander and salt to the batter and mix well.
- Now with the help of a laddle pour the besan mixture on a tawa and cover it with a lid to make it soft.
- Now flip it to the other side, you will start noticing brown spots on one side of the besan chilla. put few drop of ghee/ oil over it and serve hot.
- Besan chilla can be served with coriander or mint chutney.
2 Replies to “Veg Omelette Recipe | Besan Cheela Recipe | How to make Besan Cheela”
I love your recipes. I have tried some and my baby loves it to the core. Thanks ?
This gives me a kick to start a category for toddler recipes.