Lemon rice is a breakfast and tiffin recipe and is popularly known to be made from left over rice. It is a South Indian cuisine and I got a chance to taste it in my brother’s wedding in Mysore. I found it to be very light and a very good Breakfast option.
Lemon rice can also be made from fresh rice and the crunchy ground nuts, cashews and lentils added to it makes it a lot more crispier and mouth watering.
Lemon rice can be used as a side dish and can be served with papad or coconut chutney. Since I belong to North India, I enjoy it almost every alternate Saturday with tea and it serves to as a sumptuous breakfast.
|Prep Time||10 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20 Minutes|
- 1 tbsp desi ghee/ oil
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- a pinch asafoetida
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 4-5 cashews
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp urad daal
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1-2 dried red chillies
- 1/2 tsp haldi or turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- In a kadhai put some ghee.
- When the ghee has become warm enough add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds start to splutter add curry leaves ,dried red chilly and asafoetida
- Next add uard dal and saute for 1 minute.
- Next add the peanuts and cashews and saute till they become slightly red. You can also roast the cashews and peanuts separately.
- Next add haldi and salt and add the cooked rice. Always make sure that the rice is cooled down. This will help the starch to settle down and not stick to the kadhai.
- Mix well and cover it with a lid for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice to it. Also garnish it with freshly chopped coriander.