Shahi Paneer is the most looked upon recipe as this is royal plus it gives you the eating satisfaction. The first thing we look around is any marriage or in a restaurant ii=s Shahi paneer. Paneer is something, which I like every time, but eating it with rich cashew gravy makes it more tasty. My husband is a hard core fan of the thick creamy gravy, though he doesn’t like paneer.
The recipe of Shahi paneer which I am sharing here does not contain tomatoes, rather it is made with thicj onion gravy using all the nuts like almonds, cashews and poppy seeds. The rich aroma is added by saffron strands and royal spices. I have added little amount of milk and some cream to make the texture more creamy and thick. You can avoid this, keeping it more of a healthy option.
Shahi paneer is ideally served with garlic naan or Tandoori Roti but the breads can also be replaced with steamed jeera rice. This is a perfect dish for any guest coming at home.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- 2 tbsp desi ghee/ oil/ butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger/ garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar Optional
- 1/2 cup yogurt/ Curd
- 1 tbsp cream/ malai
- 1 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Saffron milk Optional
- 10-12 fresh paneer
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 onions Roughly chopped
- 4-5 cashewas
- 4-5 peeled almonds
- 2-3 green chilly
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 cup water
For the gravy
For the Masala Paste
- Take a large bowl/ kadhai and add 1 cup of water to it and switch on the flame.
- Add roughly chopped onions, cashews, almonds, poppy seeds and green chilly.
- Let it boil for 5-7 minutes.
- Sieve the mixture and keep the vegetable stock aside.
- Finely grind all the boiled ingredients in a mixer grinder. (I have not sauteed the onions because then it will give a reddish texture to the cream based Shahi paneer)
- Now take a pan and add 2 tbsp of oil/ butter/ ghee.
- Once it is warm enough, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and fry.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and saute. (I have used fresh ginger and garlic, the ready made paste can also be used)
- Now add turmeric powder, salt and sugar.
- Stir well and add the prepared onion and nuts paste. Saute well for 5-6 minutes.
- As the gravy begins to thicken, add yogurt, the left over onion and chilly stock and whisked cream.
- Now add saffron milk to it. (Add 2 strands of saffron in 1 tbsp of milk, keep aside for 5 minutes and you will see the royal saffron colored milk).
- Now add the paneer cubes and garnish it with garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Cover it with lid for 5 minutes on simmer.
- Serve hot with steam rice or garlic naan/ lachha paratha.